Sunday, December 05, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 17

Something I am looking forward to....

Even though it might seem a little cliche at this time of year, I have to say I am looking forward to Christmas. It feels like it has been a few years, at least, since I could say that. I have done all the Christmas-y things like baking, decorating, sending out cards, receiving cards, exchanging gifts, spending time with family, etc. but in the last few years Christmas has come and gone without that deep inner excitement that used to come. I don't know that it is the same excitement that I had as a child, because I can't remember the last Christmas Eve that I had trouble sleeping, but I feel some great anticipation this year.

I think a mistake I have made in previous years is that by this time I was usually done most of my Christmas related activities. I was done shopping, sending Christmas cards, baking and sometimes even had all the wrapped presents under the tree. I would say that this year I am about 95% done shopping, about 90% done baking and will be sending out Christmas cards this week, or maybe next and presents will get wrapped in a week or so. We decided to add making a gingerbread house into the mix for activities to get ourselves into the Christmas mood. We'll definitely post pictures once it's all put together!

I think it's fun being married because we get to celebrate Christmas twice and sometimes even three times. In the last few years, since I got married, we have alternated spending Christmas day between my family and Jason's. On the years we spend Christmas with my family, either we have gone to Swift Current, or his parents have come up here to celebrate with us a week or two before Christmas. And with my family, we usually get together with my parents and sister and her family during the week leading up to Christmas (usually on my mom's birthday, December 22nd) and exchange our family Christmas presents (we draw names). Then on Christmas day, we get together with my immediate family, plus Aunt Betty and Uncle Frank, Aunt Margaret and Uncle Hans and their kids and grand-kids. So all in all there are about 18 of us, if everyone is around on Christmas day. This year we are planning on hosting the 18 of us at our house on Christmas day and cook a turkey, stuffing and potatoes and thankfully everyone else usually pitches in and brings all the other food.

I still can't believe that Christmas is only three weeks away, and that Jason's parents will be up here in less than 2 weeks to celebrate with us. Instead of doing a turkey with Jason's parents we decided to try something a little different and are doing a pork tenderloin. I am excited to cook for them and have some time to visit and relax together. I am also looking forward to attending the Christmas Eve service at our church this year. It hasn't worked out for us to go for the last couple of years, and it always makes me feel extra Christmas-y and helps me remember the actual reason for Christmas.

No comments: