Tuesday, June 03, 2014

I like my doctor

I have been seeing Dr. Martel for prenatal care during my pregnancy and I really like her.  She is really friendly, and good at answering questions.  I don't feel rushed when I see her.  I wish she could be a little more on time for her appointments, but I do understand the unpredictability of child birth and I imagine she has to run to the hospital to deliver babies and that may throw her office schedule off a bit.  Honestly, I am not quite sure how Ob/Gyns can even keep regular office hours.  After seeing her a handful of times now, I usually anticipate that it will be about 40 minutes after my scheduled appointment when she will see me.

Something that Jason and I weren't too sure about was in the event that I needed to have a c-section, would he be able to come into the operating room with me.  It is normal procedure these days for the dad-to-be to accompany mom-to-be into the operating room when a c-section is performed.  We weren't sure if Jason would be allowed to come in with his dirty wheelchair, and the fact that he couldn't just quickly change into scrubs.  Dr. Martel was very reassuring and said that they would probably just gown him up and that his wheelchair wouldn't be a concern since he wouldn't be near enough to the surgical field to worry about contamination.  She said it is very important that he be there, and that we would make sure he is.  Cool :)

She said she also was doubtful that I would need a c-section, but that it is good that I am thinking about the different possibilities.  I also asked her about induction, and she said because I don't have diabetes and my blood pressure is good, that she doesn't forsee that being an issue.  She said normally in healthy people, inductions are most commonly performed if you go more than 10 days overdue.  But it did sound like if you would still rather avoid induction that they would be willing to monitor the baby twice/week with ultrasounds if you go more than 10 days overdue to make sure that the placenta is still providing what the baby needs.

Also, we had our first prenatal class last night.  It was pretty good.  We watched a video that talked about he different stages of labour and child birth.  I feel like it was mostly redundant for me, as I have read some books in the last few months but Jason said learned a few things, which is good :)  I think the lady who is teaching it said next week we would be talking more about techniques to cope with labour, and the week after that about postpartum and breastfeeding.  I feel that the more information I learn, the less scared I feel.  Knowledge is power!  Or something like that...maybe?  Haha

67 days until my due date...

No comments: