Thursday, September 13, 2012

Guacamole

It wasn't many years ago when I tried guacamole for the first time.  It was at a restaurant and I did not care for it at all.  I can't remember where it was, but all it tasted like was mashed up avocado.  For those who haven't tried avocado it really doesn't have much of a taste, I would say it's more about texture.  A good ripe avocado sort of has a texture similar to butter.  It's very smooth and creamy and fatty.  Of course they are 'good' fats, but still a lot of fat, so it's best not to overindulge in avocado or guacamole. 

I am not sure what inspired me to try making it at home a few years ago.  Maybe seeing a recipe online and thinking, hey, that sounds much better than that bland goop that I had at the restaurant.  So I tried, and it was good.  This past week avocados were on sale at Co-op for $1 each, so I decided to make some, as it is gluten free.  Here is my recipe:

Guacamole

3 avocados, mashed
2 roma tomatoes, chopped finely
4 green onions, chopped finely (I would have used 1/4 to 1/2 of a red onion but we had a lot of green onion that needed to be used up)
juice of two limes
1/4 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream, not fat free)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (or to taste)

Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir well.  Allow to chill for a few hours to let the flavors come together.  Then serve with tortilla chips.  YUM!

No comments: