Thursday, December 01, 2011

I shouldn't complain....but....

It has been a good work year.  I have worked more this year, than I have since I started doing massage therapy seven and a half years ago.  I think a good part of that is due to the fact that my coworker has been off on maternity leave, and my other coworker and I have been looking after her regular clients. 

For the first time as a massage therapist I am very likely going to hit the $30,000 mark.  I am happy about the good year.  This summer we had some money stress when Jay was reassessed and his income was cut by $400/month.  We weren't sure if we would be able to maintain our current lifestyle with that much less each month.  I even considered giving up massage for a regular full time job, but figured after some quick math that I would have to find a pretty well paying job to make more than I do, doing massage part time.  However, after sitting down and discussing some things that were missed in the reassessment we got the majority of that money reinstated.  Then my coworker left on mat leave at the end of June and each month since then has been quite busy. 

I shouldn't complain about earning $30,000, but as a self employed person it means that I will have to register for a GST number and start submitting 5% to the government.  In the research I have done, I am under the impression that after you hit $30,000 you have 30 days to register for a number and that you have to submit GST for a year, and if you fall below the $30,000 mark in that year then you can 'unregister' after a year.  I am not sure if that's how that works.  I am pretty sure that working from home I will probably never hit the $30,000 mark again.  *sigh*  The kicker is, I am probably going to just BARELY hit $30,000.  If it was $35,000 or so it might not feel so annoying.  But if I could take another week off of work in December I could probably avoid this all together.  But it just isn't practical, or kind, and probably not professional of me to do that.  Oh well, such is life.... 

No comments: