Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bah Humbug



I saw a video like this last year as well and it really convicted me.  In the last few years I have really felt in need of nothing for Christmas.  I can usually come up with a couple of ideas for those who ask, but there is nothing I need.  There is even very little I want.  We are blessed with an incredibly luxurious life if you look at a lot of people on this planet. 

I do look forward at Christmas to spending time with family and friends, to good food and to a lesser and lesser degree, gifts.  I have chalked it up to the fact that Christmas is more for kids.  I think that when adults have children, it reignites an excitement for Christmas that may have dwindled as an adult.  I don't think it's bad to give gifts, but I have felt in the last two or three years that it might be better to make a donation to a charity of some sort, than to try to think up some gift for a family member, and usually complain about trying to figure out what to buy.  Then get it for them, and possibly have it returned.  What's the point?  It seems in the last few years that all anyone has wanted are gift cards.  And if you have six people drawing names to buy one gift, for one family member, and all anyone wants is a gift card....why not keep your money and buy yourself something?  Not to sound like a grump.  I don't feel grumpy about it, just more practical.

After having a discussion like this with my mom, we decided that instead of buying a gift that we would make a family donation to a worthy cause.  I am not saying this to brag, but I really do think that giving in this way is a great way to bless someone who doesn't have the means to buy gifts or even food for their family.  After throwing around a few ideas of charities to give to (there are so many good and worthy ones!) we have decided to give to the Food Bank.  We settled on it because we heard that Potash Corp is matching donations until December 31st, so we figure if we give, our gift will be doubled, which seemed like a great idea.

I challenge you, the few that read this, to buy one less gift and donate that money to a worthy cause.  It might not seem like much, but you might make a huge difference in someone's life.

No comments: