Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Pet Peeve and a New Phone

I am not sure if I can call this a pet peeve, but it's something that has never made sense to me.  I have been a self employed person for seven and a half years.  I don't understand when people tell you that you should buy something or do something because it is a business write off.  I appreciate being able to write off necessary business expenses, such as equipment, rent, supplies, continuing education, etc.  But I would certainly not go out and buy myself something frivolous just because I can write it off.  You do still have to pay for things that you can write off....and all that writing it off means is that you don't have to pay income tax on that amount of money. I guess I have just never earned enough to have to worry about not having enough write offs.

I have just been trying to figure out what sort of cell phone to get for my home business.  I really feel that having a smart phone would be redundant, as I will have close access to my computer.  I rarely feel the need to have access to the internet when I am not at home.  I honestly feel like I could probably survive just fine without a cell phone, though I do enjoy having it for the sense of security it gives me.  However, a cell phone will be essential to my home business, as I have no intention of using our home phone for business purposes.

I have settled on wanting a talk/text plan that will probably run me about $45/month.  The only problem is that I don't really like any of the cell phone options that Sasktel offers.  I have looked at service plans from other providers, and either their plans are awful, or they don't have any more selection of phones than Sasktel.  Right now I am looking at either the LG Rumour 2 or the Samsung Gravity Touch.  I like the looks of the Samsung, but I read a number of bad reviews about the touch screen on it.  As for the LG, I have heard that it isn't the best brand, though it's the phone that Karen uses, and she has never had any problems with it.  I suppose now I should go into a Sasktel store and talk to someone about it.  Hopefully I'll do that sometime this week.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

We've been using an LG for a number of years now, and Tony's most recent phone is also an LG. We have had no problems with either one.

Angie said...

Good to know Lyn!