Saturday, September 03, 2011

Autumn

In Saskatchewan autumn is a bittersweet season.  There are things about it that make me smile and things that make me sad.  I love to see the leaves change colour but with that comes the inevitable fall of the leaves which ushers in a season of seeming death.  I have to say I don't love winter, and I really wish that autumn wasn't chased away so quickly by the cold temperatures and snow flurries. 

Here are some of the things that I love about autumn:
  • The cooler temperatures.  Not cold, but I don't mind the type of weather that requires a person to wear a sweater or a light jacket.
  • As I mentioned above, the colourful leaves.
  • Walking down the sidewalk and crunching dried up leaves.
  • Breaking through the thin ice on puddles that froze in the cool overnight temperatures.
  • Autumn makes me think of curling up with a blanket and a cup of cider or tea and reading a book or watching a movie.  
  • Honestly, thinking about a nice long autumn makes me feel all warm inside and gives me butterflies in my stomach.  I just love it.
  • Less bugs!!
And now some things I don't like about autumn:
  • Snow!  Technically, autumn lasts until December 20th or so, and I can only remember two times in my life where there wasn't snow on the ground by December 20th.  
  • Unpredictibility of it.  I would love to see snow hold off until at least mid November or even early December, but here in Saskatchewan that is wishful thinking.  We have seen snow by the end of September before....and I sincerely hope that it holds off until at least after Thanksgiving!
  • The anticipation of the long cold winter.
I think that covers the major points.  I know that September is considered to be a pretty awful month for my hubby, being as it's the end of summer, cooler temperatures and it happens to be the month he broke his neck (14 years ago).  But I have to say September is one of my favorite months.  I like the transition and the change.  I have to agree with a blog by Lauralea, I think that spring and autumn should each be four months and summer three months, which would only leave one manageable month of winter.  I wonder if there is a place in the world that has seasons like that, hmmm...   

No comments: