Friday, September 09, 2011

Annoyed Rant UPDATED

This week at work I saw a new client.  That is not unusual in itself, but I thought it was a good place to start this story.  This particular client was from out of town, from another country to be precise.  When he arrived for the appointment the first thing out of his mouth was, "I didn't have time to stop at the bank for cash, can I go after the appointment."  This happens on occasion, as our clinic only accepts cash or cheque, though we are always very clear on the phone, especially with new clients, that we do only accept cash or cheque, so come prepared.  I said "sure" and proceeded to give the treatment.

When it was over, he asked where the closest ATM was and I sent him on his way.  He came back about five minutes later saying that the ATM would not accept his foreign debit card, and could he come back to pay me the next day (this was at the end of the day).  I would like to say that after dealing with people for the last seven years as an RMT, I feel like I have a pretty good feel for who's honest and who's a schyster.  This guy really did seem honest, so I told him fine.  He even offered to give me what cash he had....$15, but I told him that if he was going to come back he might as well just pay for the whole thing the next day.

The next day came and he didn't show up.  So I called and left a message for him, on what I assumed was a cell phone.  Never heard anything back, so I have called him again the last two days and left messages.  I am beginning to think I may never see my $40 and it really ticks me off.  I can't imagine being in a foreign city on business and not checking my messages.  I guess from here on out I won't be so lenient with people.  I have never had anyone not pay me before.  I have had to deal with two NSF cheques that were never settled up in the last seven years, but never this.  Maybe he will still come and make things right, but I am getting less hopeful.  Though I will keep calling him!

Update:  I got paid today!  After humming and hawing about calling him again, I bit the bullet and called him today.  For the first time I was actually able to get him on the phone, rather than an answering machine.  I told him I would like him to drop off payment today around noon (this was at 11:40AM).  He was like, oh, uh, yeah, noon is in 20 minutes.  I said, yes it is.  He said he would be here, and he came.  He claims that he was laid up in bed for a couple of days last week.  I just don't understand why he didn't call or come down here today if he was back at work and feeling better :P  Oh well, I got paid, and that's what matters!!

No comments: