Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

When I think of this, the 10th anniversary of the terrible attacks on the World Trade Centre, I am taken back to grade 8.  Not that it had anything to do with September 11th, but I recall November 22nd, 1993 (okay, I admit I had to look up the actual date), because it was 30 years since President Kennedy was assassinated.  I remember my grade 8 teacher telling us that she rememered exactly where she was when she heard that news.  I think that was the first time in my life I ever really thought of one of those moments that you will always remember where you were when it happened.

September 11, 2001 was the day I got a call that I had been hired in a temporary position to work at Enviro Test Laboratories.  I had just spent the summer working at Camp Kadesh after having quit university in April.  I had started to apply for some jobs and that particular day I was at home.  I remember being woken up by the phone ringing a little before 7am, which was unusual.  My mom was up getting ready for work, but the phone call woke us all up and I remember laying in bed and gleaning from my mom's end of the phone that something serious had happened and that they should turn on the TV.  I remember turning on the radio and laying in bed listening to the usually upbeat announcers talking about a plane crashing into the one tower.  Then I remember them exclaiming that the second tower had been hit.  Honestly at this point I did not grasp the gravity of the situation.  After that I got up and joined my parents in the living room and watched coverage for as long as I could stand to watch.  I still don't think the seriousness of it all hit me.  It looked like something out of a movie...watching it over and over again.  It still seems surreal for me to look at those images.  It makes me sad to think of all of the people who died needlessly that day.  What a horrible dark day in history. 

No comments: