Saturday, July 02, 2011

Baby Blanket

I wasn't sure if I should post pictures on here before I give it to it's recipient, but after the nice shots Jason took of it I wanted to share.







It is all finished now.  It is 5x5 squares (5 different colours and 5 different patterns) and about 36 inches square.  I have to say it came together better than I anticipated.  It is far from perfect, but for a first try, I think it is not bad.  I think that if I ever attempt another baby blanket I will invest in a circular needle and do it all as one piece instead of individual ones.  The nice thing about this one was the portability of it.  I could take my knitting needles and yarn anywhere to work on it.  I worked on it at work, at home, in the van when we drove to Swift Current, waiting at the doctor's office, etc. 

I wanted Jason to photograph it before I attempted to wash it.  The type of yarn I used, Bernat Handicrafter 100% cotton, said on the label that it is machine wash and dryable.  I figured that was an important feature of a baby blanket.  I imagine if this blanket gets used that it will likely get spit up on, or drooled on, or possibly even pooped on. 

I wanted to run it through the washer and dryer before giving it to it's new owner to make sure that it would stand up to it.  I finally did it the other day.  I am happy to say it didn't fall apart.  However, the white is no longer very white.  I think the colours must have run a little bit.  I honestly don't think it looks bad.  I would say it looks more like an off-white now, rather than a gleaming white.  It looks consistent through all of the white squares though, so I think that's okay.  I had to stitch up one place that I must not have knotted the end properly.  I also had a few ends that I had woven in that came unravelled a tiny bit that I clipped off.  My one disappointment is that in washing it, it looks sort of fuzzy/pilly now.  I will probably sit and pick some fuzz off in the next few weeks before the baby comes.  I don't think it looks awful, but I would say it doesn't have that nice brand new look to it with the fuzziness. 

No comments: