Saturday, July 02, 2011

I feel like an idiot

We were given the opportunity to take home the new van on Thursday.  I am not sure they should have let us....as there are still some modifications that need to be completed.  The major stuff is looked after, but Jay still needs a stabilizer added so his wheelchair can't tip backward if he takes off to quickly (or if I do when I am driving).  We have taken it out for a couple of small drives, and this evening I was anxious to take Jay for a drive.

This new van has an identical lock down mechanism on the passenger side as the driver side.  This will allow Jay to be a passenger in the front of the van, with a stable lock down, rather than with relatively unstable tie down straps in the back of the van.  It will also allow him to have a proper seat belt, which he doesn't have in the back. 

I don't expect we will use the driver seat for this van much, if at all.  Modifications were made to the passenger seat so it would fit in the driver's side.  For storeage purposes, I thought it would be easier if the driver seat was slid as far ahead as possible.  It is a power seat, so to do this it would need to be put into the van on the driver side.  I figured I would do that and take Jay for a drive then stow the seat away for now.  I got home and did that.  I then went to put the passenger seat in the passenger side and somehow managed to lock down the back of the seat but not the front.  The back of the seat is as solid as a rock, but even the slightest pressure placed toward the back of the van causes the front end of the seat to tip backward.  We tried everything and that thing is stuck.  I don't know what to do.  I feel like an idiot.  It's not safe to drive it like that, and we certainly don't want to damage it.  I have tried pushing and pulling up and down, front and back, wiggling.  I looked at the manual and just have no idea how to fix it. 

I am certain the guys at Golden Mobility will be able to get it sorted out on Monday, but in the mean time, we wanted to go to church and for lunch with friends tomorrow.  And here is a vehicle that is not really safe to be driving as it is.  I feel like a complete idiot.  I know it's a new van, and the mechanism to lock the chair down and pop it out is much different than the old van.  I just feel so dumb.  I wish I were smarter, or stronger, or something, so I could fix it.  *sigh*

No comments: