Sunday, November 21, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 5

Your siblings....

I have one sister named Robin. She is 4 years older than me and has been married to Lorne for 10 years. She has two little boys named James (he's 6) and William (he's 4). She was a substitute elementary school teacher before she had kids, and now she is a stay-at-home mom who is in the process of getting her certification to teach group fitness classes.


I would say that we have always gotten along fairly well. I remember as kids building forts together and running through the sprinklers. Getting up early to take our glass pop bottles to 7-11 to get some money to buy gummy candies before mom and dad got up. When I was really young (3 or 4) I used to sneak into her bedroom (she had an awesome water bed) and she would reflect the hall light off of her hand mirror to make a spot on the wall, which I found quite entertaining. When she got into her early to mid-teens is when we didn't spend much time together. She got to be 'too cool' for her 12 year old sister. It wasn't until she moved out when she was about 20 that we started to get along better again.

My sister has struggled with her weight off and on for a number of years. Last year she decided to commit to competing in a figure competition so set to work training and eating a specific training diet. She was so committed to it that she went to the gym seven days/week and was there for probably at least 1.5 to 2 hours. She ate tons of eggs, tuna, chicken, veggies and protein shakes. She competed in April of this year. She may not have come in first, but I am really proud of her for all her hard work and commitment. I can't imagine that she would ever let herself become overweight again, especially now that she is pursuing being a fitness instructor and has suggested the idea of taking a personal training certificate. I think it was her drive and transformation that helped inspire me to make the New Year's resolution that I did this year.

My sister and I get along well, but I think we are very different. She has always been outgoing and not afraid to speak her mind. I am more quiet and shy and hate to be a bother to people. She dated a lot in high school and did some partying. I didn't date until I was in university, and I hung out with my church youth group on weekends. She smoked for a number of years, and I have never taken a drag. We may have different tastes in some things, but we are sisters and we don't fight/argue/bicker about things. We don't always see eye to eye, but we are family.

No comments: