Saturday, November 20, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 4

My Parents...

have been married for 35 years. They met in January of 1975 through a mutual 'friend' (haha), got engaged in May of that year and were married October 25, 1975. I guess whirlwind romances must run in my family ;)

My mom grew up in Calgary as the oldest of two daughters. My dad grew up in rural Saskatchewan as the youngest of eleven children. Can you imagine having that many kids in your family?? By the time my dad was a year or two old, his older siblings had already moved away. On my mom's side of the family there are four grandchildren, on my dad's side, 27 (I'm the 2nd youngest).

For the first 10 or 11 years of my life my dad worked and my mom stayed home with us kids. When I was in grade 5, my dad struggled with depression and eventually chose to quit working. At this point my parents switched roles and mom went to work and dad stayed home. I honestly think that this was a better fit for them. While my mom is a very capable cook, I think my dad's creativity in the kitchen allowed him to come up with some really great meals. As a kid I think I took it for granted that I always had a parent at home, but looking back I really do think it was a blessing.

My mom went back to school last year after losing her job of 15 years a few years back. She is now a medical office assistant and really enjoys her job. I can't imagine going back to school at age 56 and starting a new job. I am really proud of her! My dad is retired and I wish he would take up some sort of hobby. I can't imagine just sitting at home day after day, but that's what he has done for many years and I know from my own experiences that longer you do it, the harder it gets to get moving.

1 comment:

Karen said...

So, what are some of his great meals?

I'm hungry.