Tuesday, September 07, 2010

And now, deep thoughts....

When I started the Couch to 5K running program in May I joined the C25K page on Facebook. There are over 100,000 people in that group and it is a great source of motivation, or a place to ask questions and find answers from people who are in the same place as you. Tonight they posted a link to a running forum thread where a woman had written a few of her thoughts on what she ponders during her 20 mile long runs (I assume she is training for a marathon).

One that really stuck out to me was:
I will never look at someone running slow again and think, ‘man he’s slow’ because I really don’t know how many miles he has behind him.

I found that to be really profound. Whether you consider it to do with running or just life in general. It is never a good idea to judge someone based on an outward appearance. You don't know where they have been and how far they have come.