Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ooops

In approximately 2002 I developed an intolerance to lactose. I didn't realize it at first, I went to the doctor complaining of digestive troubles. She suggested cutting out dairy products and see how I made out. I did it, and voila it seemed to clear up. So for a period of time I completely cut out all dairy products. But then I started to miss cheese so I would have some here and there. I was also told that lactose intolerant people can eat yogurt because the bacteria in the yogurt counteracts the effect of the lactose. So I started eating yogurt. In the last couple of years I would say that the only thing I have fully cut out is straight milk. There have been a couple of times that I have had something with milk in it and it has caused me some digestive issues. So I decided to stop drinking milk (I was not a big milk drinker anyway) and I tried many options for my cereal. Over the last years I have tried soy milk, goat's milk and most recently Lactaid milk. It is definitely more expensive, however Jay and I maybe go through four liters of milk per month, so I don't feel like it's too bad of a deal.

We decided to do our shopping at Sobey's last week, as their flier had some good deals. I needed some milk (or 'malk' as we like to call it....it's a Simpson's reference). I grabbed what I thought was skim Lactaid milk. I brought it home and started using it. I noticed that it had a decal on the side that says that it has added milk solids, so it has 2% milk taste without the fat. I thought, hey that's new. Not until today did I realize that it's regular milk, just with added milk solids. Not lactose free. I have used it on my cereal two or three times since we bought it and I feel just fine. I am little paranoid to just go for it and try regular milk full time. Though I have heard that people with lactose intolerance do not seem to react as harshly to fat free milk. It seems odd that I would develop lactose intolerance as an adult, but then would start to tolerate it again. Hmmm...

No comments: