Saturday, January 24, 2009

The 80s are back

I think I will begin this post by quoting grandpa Simpson "I used to be with it, then they changed was it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary. It'll happen to yoooou."

Karen and I ventured out this afternoon to browse some bridesmaid dresses. Arleen asked us to be bridesmaids in her wedding in March and we thought we would go out and just try on some dresses and maybe get an inkling as to what size we wear in fancy dresses. We will likely have to order our dresses online since it is pretty short notice. I am a little apprehensive about ordering something sight unseen, but what can you do when it takes 3-4 months to order in a dress to a bridal shop in the city!?

I know that I am getting old (28) and it has been 10 1/2 years since I graduated high school but I was just appalled at some of the prom/grad dress selections out there. I realize that the girls who are graduating this year were born in the 1990's but don't they realize that the dresses they are choosing to wear are from the 80's? That in 10 years they will look back at their big hair, blue eye shadow and their taffeta mermaid dress and wonder what they were thinking?? I will admit that looking back at my grade 12 grad dress it looks dated. I think it was pretty when I wore it, but I don't think that a person would look at it and say, that is such a late 90's dress. And the prices they pay for those things....goodness.....$500 for a dress that you wear once, for a couple of hours? I know that some people are fortunate enough to get a second use out of a dress, but not $500 worth of use!

Another thing that bugs me are all the mini dresses. These are dresses with poofy skirts that end far above the knee. They are fancy ball gown type dresses, that suddenly stop. Here is an example. I just don't get it. And in that example, the floofy skirt. I don't know the technical term for it. I think that those floofy skirts are going to be this decade's poofy sleeves. And the bubble hem, what is up with that??

No comments: