Monday, September 15, 2008

Matthew 7:9-11 says "You parents--if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him."

I opened my Bible this evening for the first time in months. I have just not felt drawn to read. I should read, I really should. I know that the more you read and pray the easier it is, and the more God is able to impact your life and draw you nearer to where He wants you to be. When I opened my Bible this evening I didn't know where to turn. I felt like reading about Jesus after the sermon at church yesterday. I started in John and read about Jesus turning water into wine. Then I thought I would like to read the sermon on the mount, or at least part of it. When I got to Matthew 7 this passage really leaped out at me. In the last months I have had a few things in my life that have frustrated me. I have tried to deal with them on my own and have mostly been disappointed. I haven't seriously taken any of it to God to find some guidance. I think somewhere along the way I thought I could figure it out on my own. I didn't think God needed to be bothered with the small details (or sometimes not so small details) of my day to day life. But obviously, according to this passage, God wants to give me good gifts. He wants what is best for me. I know that does not mean he will always give me what I want, but he will begin to change my heart towards what His will is for my life.

No comments: