Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Grandpa

Grandpa is in the hospital, again. He has been in and out of the hospital a few times in the last year. It sounds like this time he won't be going home. He is quite weak and confused. I don't know that he is on his death bed right now, but he has really taken a turn for the worse overall. Up until a few months ago his mind was quite clear, and he was fairly able to look after himself. He is 90 after all, you probably would come to expect his wouldn't be doing as well physically or mentally. Mom was just out in Calgary visiting and that is when he ended up going to the hospital because he was so weak he couldn't get up on his own and he had a stomach flu. Mom said he was assessed by a geriatric psychiatrist the other day and was found to be incompetent. I don't know exactly what that means, but I know that if grandpa gets some crazy notion about going home, it would allow mom and my aunt to keep him from doing that. I don't know if he will live out the rest of his days in the hospital, or will get moved into a private care home, or a nursing home. He could still live for a while yet, who knows.... Honestly at this point in time I would almost rather see him let go. I would hate to see a bunch of anger and animosity between his daughters and him. And I think for someone whose mind has been so clear for so long it would probably be hard to have it slip away. But then if he is confused, maybe he doesn't realize it's slipping away.....

I have been to far too many funerals in the last three years, but I suppose as I get older there will just be more and more. *sigh*

No comments: