Friday, May 16, 2008

After trading cell phones with Jason today because I gave the vet that number to call when Kiwi was done her surgery (she was spayed today), he determined that I need a new cell phone. My phone does still work, but it is HUGE. Maybe not by the standards of those who remember the giant brick sized phones, but by today's standards, my phone has to be at least two to three times as big as the average phone. I have been thinking about getting a new one in the last few months, or looking into another used one. I got mine used about three and a half years ago. I think it has paid it's dues. I did a bit of looking on the Sasktel website and I did not realize that there were phones that were so affordable to just buy. I thought usually they were free or maybe $50 if you sign up for a three year contract. Well, for a pretty basic phone, I looked and found out there are a couple of options that are $100 or a little more. That's about how much we paid for my phone on consignment. Since I keep my phone as more of an emergency phone, or so work can get a hold of me when I am out and about, I don't need to pay for a monthly plan. I think the cheapest plan is $20/month for 150 anytime minutes. I don't think I would use that many in a month, however that adds up to about $240 per year (probably plus taxes and whatnot). I do not typically buy more than two or three $50 prepaid cards per year. I guess I am still further ahead to go prepaid. I am not sure if that gives me the ability to text message or whatnot, but I am pretty illiterate when it comes to phone features and I have never sent a text message in my life. I thought it was neat that the phones I was looking at also have built in cameras. I think we might stop by the Sasktel store tomorrow to check them out further. Maybe my shoulder won't hurt so much from carrying around a teeny tiny little phone in my purse anymore.....

No comments: