Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Insomnia

I have NEVER had trouble sleeping.  There is the occasional night that my mind gets going and I can't fall asleep, but other than that, I typically sleep like a log.  I think even after Jay and I got married and I had to get used to not only sharing a bed with someone else, gettting used to Jay sitting up in bed and turning on the light to go pee.  That took a bit of time, but usually even if I woke up when he got up to pee, I would be back to sleep within a couple of minutes.

I got a call from my thyroid doc last week after going for bloodwork that my thyroid is starting to tend towards hyperthyroidism again.  At that point, when she called I was a little surprised, as I hadn't really noticed any symptoms.  However, since she called, I am definitely feeling more aware of symptoms.  One of which is insomnia.  I don't know if 'insomnia' is the right term.  I feel like I am sleeping most of the night, just not restful sleep.  There have been a couple of nights that I have been aware of tossing and waking up every hour or so.  There was one night that Jay even woke me up to ask me if I was okay because I was tossing and turning and groaning in my sleep.  The last couple of mornings I have woken up feeling tired.  This morning I felt like I had slept better, but Jay said he noticed me tossing when he was awake at night, and by 10am I was feeling ready for a nap.  I have also noticed that I have been hot/sweaty while giving massages and if I get hungry my hands get jittery. 

I know that there are far worse/serious things that could be wrong with me, but this is definitely frustrating.  It seems like my body will go through about a 7-8 month cycle.  In January of 2012 my thyroid went hyper after lowering my dose the previous summer to see if I could possibly be weaned off my medication.  So we upped the medication, and by last August my thyroid had gone hypo.  So lower the dose, and now, in Feb/Mar my thyroid is hyper again so up the dose.  I hope that because we caught this early, and my symptoms seem to be fairly minimal that it will not take my body long to regulate back to a normal range.  I do not look forward to the hypothyroidism that seems inevitable that will likely hit in late summer/early fall because my hair is finally long and I don't want to lose a bunch of hair.  Ugh!  Hopefully if I go for regular blood work each month we will be able to adjust the doses as soon as something seems a little bit off.

No comments: