I was looking for a nice quick knitting project the other day so I could use some of the yarn that Jay gave me for my birthday. I have been saving this pattern for months and decided to give it a try. I didn't have the exact right type of yarn for the hat. I think the pattern uses and acrylic yarn, which would be lighter and probably allow the brim to stick out a little more. The yarn I used was a cotton/linen blend and made for a bit of a heavier/floppier brim. I felt like the hat was cute, but probably would never stay on a kid's head, so I decided to crochet a tie to help give it a little more shape. Overall I am happy with how it turned out, but I have seen a few other ruffled hat patterns and I think next time I would try something different. I am definitely a fan of knitting in the round, as this hat was knit flat then seamed up the back. I do like the pattern on top of the hat too. Adds a bit of visual interest as well. I need to find a better model, but for now Mrs. Bear will have to do!