Thursday, March 15, 2012

Gym? What's a gym?



Back in February I got a three month membership for World Gym in the mail because my sweet hubby, unbeknownst to me, entered my name in a draw and I won!

I decided to wait until I am working at home to activate the membership because I have a bit of spare time now, and more flexibility with my time.  I went on Tuesday and signed up and went in the evening for the first time.  I always feel a bit aimless when I go to a gym.  I am fine going and doing some cardio, but when it comes to a resistance training plan I feel a bit lost.  I asked my sister if she would be willing to set up a bit of a plan for me, and she agreed.  Sometime in the next week or so she will come with me to the gym and show me some routines so I can make the most of time time at the gym.

Another interest of mine has been to try some group fitness classes.  This is a fairly major source of anxiety for me.  Who isn't a little apprehensive about making a fool of yourself in front of other people.  I am curious to try some yoga, step aerobics, Zumba, etc.  Today I decided that I need to get over my anxiety and just do it.  I looked at what was available this morning and my options were either Physique or a Spin class.  I have done spin before so decided to try something different.  Physique is a class that uses some weights as well as body weight exercises and a lot of isometric exercises to work the full body.

I arrived about 15 minutes early because I thought that was the thing to do.  When I got into the room there were a lot of mats and weights set up in stations around the room.  Probably at least 30-40 of them.  I assumed since they were set up, but that there were few people in the room that you just pick a station and that's where you work.  I chose a station and sat down waiting for the class to start.  A few minutes later someone came over and said, oh, I think you are in my spot.  I apologized and said I was new and didn't realize that she had set it up.  She was very nice and took me and showed me what I needed for the class and helped me set up a spot.  By then they were out of bars for the hand weights so I ended up having to just hold on to two weight disks which was kind of awkward but was okay.

I sat and waited for the class to start when these two women (maybe in their early to mid 40s) came up to me and said "you are in our spot!"  I said "no, I set up this spot".  At this point I was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake and was on the verge of tears.  They then realized that they were set up on either side of me, and I had set my spot up in between their two spots because there had been plenty of space to do so.  At this point the class started.

Once we got going everything was fine.  The class was definitely challenging but it was fun and the instructor was great.  I couldn't believe how much my butt was burning by the end of the class and I don't know if I will be able to walk tomorrow, probably just waddle :P

I will definitely go back to this class, and will try others.  I know there is a learning curve when you go to classes and I really appreciate how kind the girl was who helped me when I first got there as well as how helpful the instructor was.  I will do my best to not let the ones who aren't so nice get to me.

No comments: