Monday, February 20, 2012

Rhubarb Crisp

I know it's not rhubarb season in Saskatchewan, but my mother in law gave me some rhubarb months ago.  It has sat in our freezer and I even forgot about it for a while.  I figured that I wanted to do some baking with rhubarb this weekend.  I started looking at muffin recipes but decided to make cranberry lemon muffins instead yesterday (they are so good!).  Then I stumbled upon a rhubarb crisp recipe and my decision was made!

I did a bit of research and made a mix of two different recipes.  One was for how to prepare the rhubarb for a crisp and the other was an apple crisp recipe that claimed to be the perfect apple crisp.  I had saved that recipe months ago because the topping looked amazing and included pecans!  I melded the two recipes and this is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
4 cups of diced rhubarb (thanks to my mother-in-law the rhubarb was cleaned and diced and in 2 cup portions!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted margarine
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350F.  Add sugar, water, cornstarch and vanilla to a pot and bring to a boil and stir until thickened.  Put the rhubarb in a 9x9 greased baking pan and pour the water/sugar mixture over top.  In a separate bowl, mix the oats, brown sugar, flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and chopped pecans.  Pour the melted butter over top and mix until well combined.  Pour the topping over the rhubarb and pat it level.  Bake for about 40 minutes.  My 9x9 was pretty full so I put it on a cookie sheet in case it cooked over, and it did boil over just a little bit.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

It was really good!  I do really like the topping recipe and will definitely use it again for other fruit crisps.  The pecans were a really tasty addition.  As for the rhubarb...if you like rhubarb, I think you will like this.  It is definitely sweet enough, but you get the nice bit of tartness with the rhubarb as well.

No comments: