Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ridiculously Busy Weekend

I think I have always looked forward to long weekends.  Because, hey, it's an extra day off work.  However, I think since it has been so busy at work for the last four and a half months I really seem to appreciate them more.  Typically the days off are just spent relaxing, or doing things at home like cleaning or baking or knitting or relaxing.  This weekend was particularly busy!

Friday started out with having friends over for coffee.  They came over in the morning and I gave a knitting lesson and Jay visited.  I think the lesson went well.  She caught on easily to the basics, it will just take practice until she builds more confidence and gains an understanding of what the different stitches should look like, and how to tell if something isn't right (at least that's what I found when I first started).

Friday afternoon Jay and I headed down to the Midtown to look at Tip Top Tailors for a jacket he had seen at Market Mall on clearance that they didn't have in his size.  Unfortunately the Midtown didn't have it either, so we browsed around a little then headed home.  After a quick look at the weather forecast for the weekend I decided that I should probably get out and hang the Christmas lights.  I manged to do that without falling off the ladder, so that was a plus.  Friday evening I headed down to my 'office' to start ripping up carpet.  It actually came up fairly easily and only took me half an hour or so to get it all taken out.  Next I spent a bit of time taping around door and window frames.

Friday evening I got an interesting email from one of my old massage instructors at McKay.  She was emailing to find out if I knew any clinics that were hiring as she had just given her notice at work because her workplace had too much 'drama' that she was tired of dealing with.  I emailed her back and said, yes, my clinic will be hiring as two of our therapists are leaving.  She emailed back with a ton of questions, which I answered and she seems interested.  She is going to stop by the office tomorrow morning to look around and drop off a resume.  I have never worked with this girl before, but I would say that she was a great instructor and she has at least ten years of experience and likely a lot of her own clientele.  Great timing, I hope it works out!

Saturday morning I woke up quite early and couldn't get back to sleep (between thoughts of painting and the email from my massage instructor).  I thought that five hours of sleep would have me looking for a nap by lunch time.  However, Saturday was another productive day!  We got up in the morning and I took Kiwi for a walk then I shoveled our couple inches of snow that fell overnight.  Then we headed over to Home Depot to buy my painting supplies!  We decided a while back that we wanted to cook a turkey this weekend, just for us to enjoy so we stopped in at the local bakery to get some bread to go with our turkey.  We settled on a loaf of olive sourdough which was delicious!  When we got home I went downstairs and got to work painting!  I probably spent 3-4 hours down there and in that time got a first coat of the light green paint on everything, then did a second coat on two of the walls, which just left one wall and the inside of the closet for today.  I am pleased with how the colour looks, and I am looking forward to doing the feature wall to see how it all comes together.  Last night my lack of sleep caught up with me and I spent my time relaxing with some knitting, surfing the net and a soak in the tub.  We were in bed by 10:30 and I slept like a log all night!

Today we went to church in the morning.  Then came home and I baked skor bit cookies.  After that I headed downstairs and finished up the green paint.  On closer inspection of my paint job yesterday I think I did an alright job.  I only saw drips in the closet, which I don't think anyone will see.  I have to say painting closets sucks.  After spending a few hours painting yesterday and today I have to say that I don't love painting.  It's okay, and I am not quite as sore as I thought I would be, but it's not my favorite thing.  I don't know if I would have the patience to paint our whole house by myself.  I could probably do another room if I had to, but I won't be opening a painting business any time soon.  I capped off this afternoon with a nice nap.

It has been a good weekend.  I look forward to watching my home office take shape.  My inlaws are hoping to come up in two weeks to help me lay the flooring.  That will depend on the weather though because it can be so unpredictable at this time of year.  Once that is done and we put the baseboards back on, all that will be left is to start trying to figure out how to decorate and find some decent but inexpensive furniture to use in the room.  Fun! 

No comments: