Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Life and Death

Since Karen's son, Oliver, was diagnosed with Tay Sach's disease, her and I have had some pretty crazy conversations.  Not crazy in a bad way....just crazy in that you should not have to have those conversations about a child.  Obviously this is new territory for them, and for me too.  I don't think I have ever personally known a baby/child/teenager who has died or had a terminal illness.

I want to support Karen and Levi in any way I can, and right now, I think that is being there to be an ear for Karen.  I think our conversations are good for both of us, but sometimes I feel....almost a bit detatched.  It's not that I don't care, or don't want to have these discussions, I just think when we are talking about something as serious as illness/death/funerals/etc, if you don't detach yourself a little bit, I think it would be pretty easy to feel overwhelmed with emotion.

I wouldn't wish Tay Sach's disease on any family.  It would be so awful to have to watch your child slowly deteriorate until their little body just can't sustain life anymore.  I think that Karen is handling it with grace.  She takes things as they come.  She is trying to educate herself as much as she can, so there hopefully won't be too many surprises.  Not to say being prepared in your mind will make it any less difficult when these things actually come to pass.  My hope and prayer is that God will continue to give Karen and Levi strength and comfort and that Oliver would remain content and physically healthy for as long as possible. 

2 comments:

Karen said...

It's so true.. the conversations are just odd. I feel a bit young to figure out how much cremation costs - and to window shop burial plots. haha.

We want Oliver to stay as comfortable as possible - and to keep seeing that cute smile.

Thank you for listening - I know it's pretty heavy sometimes. You are a wonderful friend.

Karen said...

I hope you put up a new post soon - this one is kind of a downer. :P