Sunday, August 22, 2010

I see dead people...

We went to the Saskatchewan Science Centre in Regina this weekend to take in the Our Body: The Universe Within display. Well we actually went to Regina to participate in the baptism for our friend's son, but thought we would kill two birds with one stone. The display was very interesting! It reminded me a bit of going to the cadaver lab when I was in massage school, without the stink of formaldehyde.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept, it is a very extensive display of specially preserved whole cadavers as well as partial specimens (ie upper limb, lower limb, organs, etc). I have always been fascinated with the human body and learning anatomy and physiology. I think initially looking at the specimens I felt like they were made out of plastic but when I mentally realized that they were actually real people at one point....well it disturbed me on some level. Seeing things like hair on the skin and fingernails grossed me out more than seeing a body dissected apart. However, I was able to look past the grossness of it to have a great refresher course in anatomy.

After we were done looking at the display, I would estimate we spent about an hour looking at it, we went to see an IMAX movie. I love IMAX! I wish we had one in Saskatoon. We saw the show Wild Ocean which was about the migration of the sardines along the east coast of South Africa and how all the different predators (ie dolphins, sharks, seals, birds, humans, etc) all gather together and the ocean is alive hundreds and hundreds of these predators to have their feed of sardines. And the shoals of sardines are incredibly large. From an aerial view the sardine shoals looked like an oil slick on the water. What a cool documentary!

No comments: