Saturday, June 12, 2010

Amazing what a little sun can do!

I feel so much happier today. It was a beautiful +20C day with a very light breeze and a few fluffy white clouds in the sky. Gorgeous! For the last week or so since we saw the sun, in the morning our bedroom has been so dark. It is really hard to wake up when it is so dark. But this morning I woke up at 8am feeling ready to get up because the beautiful bright sun was streaming into our bedroom. We did lounge around a little and I decided that I was feeling well enough to follow through on our plans to go down to the river for me to go for a run. I feel like I have been fighting a cold for the last few days and last night I thought it was finally setting in, but this morning I felt pretty decent.

Jason dropped me off at Spadina Cres. and Ravine Dr. I told him not to expect me at the River Landing (where he was heading to take pictures) for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I started running and made it all the way to the train bridge without a break. Then decided Kiwi might appreciate a drink at the doggy fountain there, but she didn't so we continued on. I ran until we got just past the Mendel Art Gallery and decided my body needed a little break. So I walked for a couple of minutes then told myself that I would run the rest of the way to River Landing. I did really well until I got just past the Bessborough Hotel and saw that the Children's Festival was still on so the sidewalk was full of people making it pretty hard to run with a dog. I walked through there then ran the rest of the way to River Landing.

According to my heart rate monitor it only took me 37 minutes! My heart rate averaged at 160 beats per minute and peaked at 175 beats per minute. From my calculations my ideal heart rate zone is between 133 and 173 so I was definitely not 'doggin it'. Also my heart rate monitor tells me that I burned 550 calories :) Now I can have some ice cream without feeling guilty.....or maybe not, haha.

After using Google Pedometer to map out my run today I see that what I did was closer to 5km than 6km, but I am still pleased with my progress. I think it was about 2 months ago that I decided to try jogging for the first time. This was before I planned to do the Mogathon, I could only jog a block then had to walk a block. Then a couple of weeks later I tried again and I could jog three blocks and walk a block. Now going for 20 minutes straight or more feels like a pretty great accomplishment.

I used to wonder why someone would even consider running. It's hard on your joints, and you aren't running anywhere.....it's not practical. But I think part of it is the sense of accomplishment. I can't foresee myself running any marathons, or half marathons, but it is fun to push yourself and see what you can do. I have realized that a lot of exercising and pushing yourself is more of a mental game than a physical one. Your mind tells you can't do it, so you can't. But it is amazing if you can push through what you think you can do and see what you are truly capable of. If you would have told me on January 1st that I would be training to run 6km I don't know if I would have believed you. I never thought I would be a runner. I don't know if it's something I will continue to pursue since I don't see myself outside running the -20C weather.....but it's nice to set goals and accomplish them.

No comments: