Sunday, October 04, 2009

Stepping out of my comfort zone

Last week at work I was chatting with my coworkers about Halloween. We were joking about dressing up to go to work. I don't know how many costumes would be that appropriate for a massage therapist to wear while treating, but it was fun to talk about. I mentioned to them that Jay and I had been invited to a Halloween party the weekend before Halloween and they started brainstorming ideas of what we could dress up as.

I will admit at first I was a little skeptical. I haven't dressed up for Halloween since at least high school and possibly even elementary school. I am generally a party pooper when it comes to this stuff. I should probably also say that the person who invited us to the party is someone who we don't really know any of her other friends. So we will know one or maybe two people at this party. I am sure there will be some nice people there, but I am typically not the type of person to want to stand out in a group of people I don't know.

As our discussion of potential costumes escalated one of my coworkers suggested that Jay and I could go as Homer and Marge Simpson (since we are huge Simpson's fans). My first though was how in the heck do you make Homer and Marge costumes. The internet came to the rescue and I actually found a step-by-step 'how to make a Marge Simpson costume' site. Homer is pretty easy with his (as Homer puts it one episode) "blue pants, white shirt combination". The more I thought about it, the more I figured it was perfect for us.

Friday evening I set out to Walmart to pick up what I could find to start assembling Marge. I didn't find everything I was looking for, but I got some bristol board, some cotton batting and blue spray paint. When I got home I set to work on making a Marge wig. I worked on it Friday evening, then again yesterday for a few hours. I finished it up tonight. All except for the blue spray paint part. I have to say I am impressed with how I did. I wouldn't typically call myself a crafty person, but I am pleased with it.

Today I stopped at Michael's to get some supplies to make Marge's red beaded necklace. I have a friend lined up to help with the outfit, since I don't sew. I am excited to see the completed costume. Since the party is the week before Halloween, I think I will maybe try to wear the costume on Halloween to hand out candy. I figure the little kids will like it. I will definitely post pictures of Jay and I in our costumes. This ought to be fun! I just need to practice my Marge voice.

No comments: