Wednesday, October 21, 2009

H1N1

I have been meaning to write a post about this for a while. See if I can get as many hostile responses to it as Jay got to his post. I am really waffling about getting the H1N1 vaccine. I personally do not take issue with immunizations in and of themselves. I don't care to listen to people who go on and on about how terrible immunizations are for people. Where I have a problem with the H1N1 vaccine is the short time it took to get it pushed out to the public. I am curious if it was properly tested and is it safe for humans? My second question is this, if the second wave of H1N1 is going to be a much worse, mutated version of the first round from earlier this year, how will they make an effective vaccine for a new strain that possibly doesn't exist yet, or is only very new?

I have never gotten a flu shot. I tend to be a healthy person, I am young, with no potential complicating conditions. However, this H1N1 flu does seem to target young people, who are otherwise healthy. I am trying not to buy into the scare tactics that the media seems to like to employ. I had decided against getting the shot, but then one of my coworkers talked to a client, who is an infectious disease doctor, and he convinced her to get the shot. She wasn't able to verbalize exactly what he had told her, but it made me start to think about getting the shot. But then those other questions arise.

What are your plans? Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccine?

No comments: