Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mamma Mia

I went to see Mamma Mia this afternoon. I would say that if my sister hadn't called to invite me to go see it with her and mom and I probably never would have watched it. I have always enjoyed Abba's music, but after hearing a summary of the plot I didn't think it would be that great. I decided I would go check it out anyway. When it started, and the singing started, I was hoping that it would get better. Initially I thought that it was quite cheesy, but once they started singing the well known Abba hits like Dancing Queen, Mamma Mia and Money Money Money I found myself being drawn in. I will admit that the plot of the movie was sort of silly, but the characters were hilarious and I was surprised that Meryl Streep can actually sing very well. I will say I was a little weirded out watching/listening to Pierce Brosnan sing, but he didn't have a terrible voice. The setting of the movie in Greece was gorgeous! If I wasn't married I might have to go to the church where the wedding scene took place. Though that would be a crazy long ramp for Jay to climb ;) The final scene, during the credits with the main cast members dancing and singing had me laughing out loud and I left the theatre with a big smile on my face. It was a 'feel good' movie and I think I am going to be singing/humming Abba tunes for the next month. I think Jay is probably glad that I didn't ask him to go see it with me....I am still trying to convince him to watch The Sound of Music with me.

No comments: