Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why do they even bother?

As a member of the Massage Therapist Association of Saskatchewan (MTAS) we are given the 'privilege' of treating SGI and Worker's Compensation clients. I will admit that I do believe that massage is beneficial in the treatment of whiplash, and other injuries obtained in the workplace or motor vehicle accidents. I (along with most MTAS members) have not been thrilled with the agreement that SGI and WCB have worked out with us. They allow us to do half hour treatments and only pay $25 (SGI) or $27 (WCB) and we are currently charging $40 for a regular half hour treatment. SGI typically will approve a maximum of 10 treatments, or if you are really lucky, sometimes up to 15. I got the MTAS annual report in the mail the other day and they said that WCB has changed their policy to approve a maximum of only 5 treatments because they do not feel there is sufficient research to prove that massage is beneficial. I have always been frustrated with WCB's lack of acknowledgment of massage's benefit, but now I think they have taken it too far. They won't approve massage unless a client is also receiving chiro or physio as well. In my experience with someone with an injury, five treatments usually barely scratches the surface. I wonder why they don't just cut us off completely. Or why doesn't MTAS say to heck with you WCB?? I think it might be a rather interesting AGM this year. I am not going, as it is in Regina, but I look forward to hearing about it from my coworker.

No comments: