Monday, August 13, 2012

My first day gluten free

I will preface this by saying that I am not going to do this every day, but I thought I would write about what I actually ate today.  I don't feel deprived yet, which is good, but I think most people don't feel too bad after their first day of a 'diet'.

Breakfast:

I woke up and had a banana before I worked out.  I am very particular about bananas, and even if they are a litle bit over ripe I am not usually a fan.  The one today was perfectly sweet and firm but not crunchy.  After my workout I whipped up an egg white omlette.  We have some veggies prepped in the fridge, which helps a LOT when it comes to wanting to eat them.  I cut up a bit of onion, red and yellow peppers and broccoli.  I sauteed it up then added the equivalent of four egg whites as well as a teaspoon or so of chili powder.  It came together quite nicely.  I am usually one who likes ketchup with my eggs, but I think that is often because they are lacking in flavor.  The chili powder was just the right amount of kick and flavor that made me feel okay with not adding ketchup.

On a side note, I figure that I will probably be eating more eggs now that my breakfast options are a little more limited, so I bought a few cartons of egg whites so that I am not eating so many yolks and all the cholesterol.  I am not too concerned about a yolk here or there, but don't want to overdo it.

Lunch:

On the advice of Lauralea (who is also a fairly new gluten free eater) I bought a package of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake and Biscuit Mix.  On her food blog she whittled down the recipe on the package to make a single serving (one large or two smaller) of pancakes.  She said that she will often use them to make a sandwich if she is going to be away from home during meal time.  I thought I would give it a try.  I made one large pancake and wasn't in the mood for peanut butter and jam, so I checked the fridge and made a tuna salad sandwich with a pancake in place of bread.  It wasn't bad.  It was unique.  A piece of advice that one of my GF friends on Facebook gave me today, don't compare GF to non GF things.  Try new recipes.  GF is never going to taste the same, so learn to make different things that are just as good, but different.  So I had my pancake and tuna sandwich with half a plate full of fresh veggies. 

We had Jason and Jenn over this morning for a while and they brought me some GF chocolate 'muffins' that their friend, a pastry chef, had made.  I tried one for dessert with lunch.  Oh my goodness!  They are so rich.  I typically have no problems packing away sweets, but I had to get Jay to help me finish it!  It kind of reminded me of a brownie that was really gooey in the middle.  Yum!

Supper:

We planned to make a pan of potatoes, carrots and onions to go on the barbeque.  We also did up a nice Costco sized new york steak for us to share.  What a delicious supper!  Jay even commented, if this is gluten free eating, sign me up.  Haha!  Oh yeah, we also picked up some nice asparagus at the grocery store on the weekend which was a nice addition. 

So, day one is drawing to a close and I feel good far.  I have a lead on some GF pizza in the city and look forward to finding some new recipes to try. 

No comments: