Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

I had mentioned a few posts back about my sister inviting me to join the book club her friends were starting. I decided to join them so I purchased their first book choice, The Time Traveler's Wife. I found out not too long after that, that their first meeting would be this Wednesday, October 28th. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me to join them because that is Jay's birthday (he's going to be 29!) and we have our small group Bible study on Wednesdays.

I finished reading the book last night. I am a little disappointed that I cannot go to their first meeting. I really feel like this would be a good book to discuss with other people. I found myself discussing it with Jay as I read it. Well maybe not so much discussing as just telling him about different parts of the book. It really made me think. I am still not sure if I really liked it. Well I think I liked it, but I am not totally sure yet.

There are parts of it that are still swirling around in my brain. Like the whole cause and effect thing. Not sure if that is the right way to describe it. When you know what is going to happen in the future can you change it by doing something differently in the present. Like in the book, when Henry travels back to his ex-girlfriend's apartment on the day that he knows that she committed suicide. He tries to talk to her out of it, but by doing that he actually makes her do it. But obviously in the present he didn't realize that it was a his future self that had caused her to kill herself. I don't know if that makes sense, and I don't think that ruins much for anyone who may not have read the book, and may have an interest in doing so. Makes me want to read more books or watch more movies about time travel. It is such an interesting concept.

I have heard that the movie was pretty bad. But I feel that I would like to see how they butchered it now that I have read the book. Just the way the book is written, I think it might be hard to make a screenplay that covers all the details and stories that are written in the book.

No comments: