Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Medical Adventures

I am generally a pretty healthy person. I usually go to the doctor once a year for my physical, and on occasion once more if I have a bad cough or cold. I went to the doctor this morning.

On Monday evening we had supper with my parents. Usually when I am over there, when I use the bathroom, I weigh myself. We do not have a bathroom scale and I don't weigh myself too often. Usually just when I am at someone's house who has a scale. When I weighed myself I was about 7-8lbs lighter than I have been for quite a while. I assumed that mom and dad's scale was out of whack. I asked mom and she figured it was accurate. Just to be sure the next morning I got out the Wii Fit and weighed myself with it. I hadn't used it for about 6 weeks and according to it I have lost 8.6lbs.

Losing 8-9lbs in 6 weeks is not unreasonable, if you are trying to. However when you eat half a pizza here, and 5 donughts there, and still lose weight, yeah, I started to feel a little concerned. I looked up 'unintentional weight loss' on google and came up with a list of a few illnesses. I came across hyperthyroidism and thought I might have a match. Looking down the list of symptoms I probably had at least 3 or 4 of them.

About a month or so ago at work I started noticing when I am treating that I get quite sweaty. When I first started massage school and I would give a treatment I would sweat like a pig. However that is because I was out of shape and overweight. I haven't sweated like that since my first year of massage school. I was curious about the recurrence of it, but didn't give it an awful lot of thought. Though, apparently, excessive sweating, and heat sensitivity are symptoms. I have also had an increased appetite, weight loss, shaky hands and most recently an enlarged thyroid gland.

Last night when I was brushing my teeth before bed I noticed a lump on my neck. I swallowed and found that it was much more noticable when I swallowed. I realized that it was my thyroid gland. I have a goiter. Now mine is not that severe. I made the mistake of looking up goiter on google images and it came up with a bunch of people who had goiters the size of cantaloupes! Mine is just a little enlarged and you probably wouldn't see it if you weren't looking for it.

When I noticed the thyroid I decided I should go to the walk in clinic. I called to make an appointment with my doc yesterday and she is on holidays for 3 weeks. I decided this waranted going to the walk in clinic. As I drove there, my only thought was "please don't let it be Dr. Bodenstab". I got in quite shortly after I got there, and guess who I saw.......that's right Dr. Bodenstab. He is the one who treated Jason like he was mentally slow when he went in there. I don't have a lot of respect for him, but he did look after me today. He checked me over listened to my symptoms then took me into his office and showed me a picture of a thyroid. He called a couple of places and managed to get me in today for a thyroid ultrasound. He also sent me for blood tests. I go back to see him next Friday to get the results.

If it is hyperthyroidism, it is treatable with medication, so I am not too worried. Though I had a client once who had thyroid cancer and had to have her entire thyroid removed. I am not too concerned about that. I hope that my goiter does not get any bigger in the next week and a half. I will try to be patient for the test results, but I sure could go for NOT sweating during my treatments, and not feeling hungry all the time. I am not complaining about the weight loss, but if it is due to disease, that's not healthy. I hope that once I am on medication, that those things will stop, but I also hope that I will not gain too much weight back.

No comments: