Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Perogies and Carrots

A couple of weeks ago, I had a client at work who is an 82 year old Ukranian lady. She was telling me about how she was going to make perogies for her neighbour as a gift and this is the conversation that ensued:

Angie - ooh, that's nice of you, I like perogies.
Ukranian Lady - would you like me to make you some perogies?
Angie - Oh you don't have to do that.
Ukranian Lady - No, it's no problem, how many do you want, 3 or 4 dozen potato and bacon?
Angie - Well, I suppose.
Ukranian Lady - And I got some beautiful carrots out of my garden this year, would you like some of those too?
Angie - Sure.

I figured that she would probably forget about this and I wasn't holding my breath for it, but last Friday she called me at work and told me that the perogies were ready. I told her I wouldn't be able to make it to get them until Monday and she said that was just fine. I went over to pick them up yesterday and she was waiting on the front step for me, and this is what was said:

Ukranian Lady - Hi Angela
Angie - Hi
Ukranian Lady - Here are your perogies and carrots.
Angie - Thank you.
Ukranian Lady - That'll be $3/dozen for the perogies and $1 for the bag of carrots.

Now in my mind I wasn't sure if I had heard her right, so I just kinda stood there probably looking surprised for a minute and finally said:

Angie - So I owe you $13 then.
Ukranian Lady - Yes.

Maybe I should have expected it, but it just totally caught me off guard. I just thought she was a sweet old lady offering me a gift, but on closer inspection I think she is just kind of lonely and depressed and nutty. As I walked out the door she told me that she loved me and asked if I could stay for coffee. I feel bad for her, and I do hope that the perogies are good. I am hopeful that they will be, cause if they aren't I will have to lie to the lady and tell her that they were good.

No comments: