I think too often we take these four words too lightly. I have done it, I think everyone has done it. Asked someone how they are doing, and not really stuck around to hear their answer. Or we have probably all been asked this question, and replied 'I'm fine...' or something like that even when we weren't fine. How do you think you would respond if you asked someone how they were and they fell apart and told you all their problems? I think I would probably not expect it, maybe feel awkward. But I honestly hope I would do my best to comfort that person and listen to their problems.
The reason I bring this up, is that happened to a friend of mine yesterday. Someone asked how they were doing, and they told them that they were not feeling so well. Kinda sick, and whatnot. And the person who had asked proceeded to change the subject and totally avoided the fact that this person is not feeling well. I think if you ask how someone is doing, you should be ready to have a full and honest response. Even though most people will just give a surface 'I'm fine.', we should be willing to hear more.
No comments:
Post a Comment